WHY LED?

LED - NOT JUST A BETTER LIGHT

LEDs do not require special recycling!

Your area may prohibit disposal and/or require recycling. Some states and local jurisdictions have more stringent regulations than the U.S. EPA does, and may require that you recycle CFLs and other mercury-containing light bulbs.

Visit Earth911 to contact your local waste collection agency, which can tell you if such a requirement exists in your state or locality.

We are aware that the following states prohibit mercury-containing lamps from being discarded into landfills:
California, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire(PDF) (3 pp, 62 K,About PDF), Vermont,Washington

[ultimate_carousel slide_to_scroll=”single” title_text_typography=”” slides_on_desk=”1″ slides_on_tabs=”1″ slides_on_mob=”1″ speed=”3000″ arrow_color=”#81d742″ next_icon=”ultsl-arrow-right3″ prev_icon=”ultsl-arrow-left3″ dots_color=”#81d742″ dots_icon=”ultsl-radio-checked”]

Less energy/pollution to make

A standard Fluorescent lamp will take more energy to make and recycle than it will use before it fails. This is why it’s illegal to manufacture Fluorescents in the United States.

100% recyclable

Plastic, Aluminium and Precious Metals, including Wiring are all recyclable. At the end of the life cycle, everything gets to be reused.

Last up to 25x longer

Standard claim for CFLs is 6,000 hours where an LED standard minimum claim is 50,000 hours, but it can extend all the way up to 280,000 hours.

No toxic or harmful substances

Mercury is one of the most harmful substances on earth and it is a very important part in every single Fluorescent lamp made. LEDs contain no harmful substances at all.

Brighter and Whiter

LEDs can be tuned to the exact colour you desire. They can be controlled via wires, or many wireless protocols. They bring a whole new world of opportunities straight into your hand.

Maintenance free

No crew to maintain the lamps means all the resources (gas, oil, electricity) they use have been eliminated, therefore creating no more additional pollutants over their lifetime.

[/ultimate_carousel]

LEDs – The single largest, green impact you can make

  • While it seems that everyone is pushing the Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) claiming to help the environment by using less energy, very few are discussing how hazardous they really are.
  • Since Incandescent bulbs are being outlawed by the government it only makes sense that you would spend a few extra dollars for long lasting bulb that will use much less energy in your home or business. The problem is those CFLs not only cause more pollution to create than any other bulb, they also contain a toxic substance called Mercury.
  • Bulbs break, no matter how safe you are when you throw them away they will break by the time they hit your landfill. There is an estimated 40 lbs of mercury per day being dumped in each of our nations major cities from just consumer purchased CFLs.

STILL NOT CONVINCED? TAKE A LOOK AT THESE VIDEOS.

Why are Fluorescent/CFL lights so harmful?

Heath Hazards

Toxic Mercury in your office and home

Fluorescent light bulbs contain the toxic compound mercury, which could cause mercury poisoning in varying degrees if you handle broken bulbs without protection. According to the National Institutes of Health and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) some symptoms of mild exposure to mercury include, but are not limited to insomnia, headache, mood changes, muscle atrophy, irritability, diarrhea, vomiting, swollen gums, a metallic taste in your mouth and breathing difficulties If the condition is not treated, permanent lung or brain damage and kidney failure is possible.

Bulbs containing Mercury

Many light bulbs on the market contain elemental mercury. All HID light bulbs including metal halide and high-pressure sodium light bulbs contain certain levels of mercury. 250-watt metal halide and high-pressure sodium light bulbs contain around 38 mg and 15 mg of mercury.

Fluorescent bulbs

All fluorescent light bulbs contain the toxic compound mercury. The amount of mercury present in your fluorescent light bulb is very small in most cases–some bulbs contain as little as 3.5 mg per bulb no matter what the wattage is.

Migraine Headaches

If you are prone to migraine headaches, you might want to examine the type of light bulbs you use in your home or workplace. Older fluorescent bulbs use ballasts that create cycles at 60 hertz per second. These cycles are often slow enough for humans to distinguish the arcs of electricity pass through the bulb. This flicker can cause headaches and eyestrain. Some people who use fluorescent lighting might see an increase in their migraines. Though CFLs, or compact fluorescent light bulbs provide a constant source of light, larger, more traditional types of fluorescent lighting often used in schools and office buildings can flicker at times like a strobe and may contribute to the start of a headache, or even seizures, in some people.

Approximately 10 – 12 percent of people suffer from scotopic sensitivity syndrome, which causes severe eyestrain. Patients with this condition see things like words on a page or even their surrounding landscape with blurs, duplication or movement. Because fluorescent light goes into the scotopic spectrum (as opposed to just photopic), sensitivity is made worse under fluorescent lights.

Skin Irritations

Fluorescent light allergies are not uncommon and cause health issues from headaches to skin rashes. Although these allergies are caused by preexisting conditions, they can be exacerbated by fluorescent lighting.Skin rashes are common reactions to fluorescent light. Although not an actual “medical allergy,” many people with preexisting conditions do develop slight, itchy patches to severe skin rashes after prolonged contact with fluorescent lights. According to the British Association of Dermatologists, “fluorescent light bulbs are known to worsen skin rashes in people with a variety of diseases and conditions including dermatitis, eczema, lupus, photosensitivity, porphyria and xeroderma pigmentosum.”

Radiation

Mercury vapor produces ultraviolet radiation that can be harmful to humans, especially to the eyes, where it can destroy fragile light sensing cells. However, almost all radiation in the bulb is absorbed by the phosphor coating before it escapes, bringing UV light levels down. The only time humans are exposed to the radiation is when the bulbs break.

Logo Header Menu